Nuffnang Ads

25 November 2011

Manila Foodistas: A Month Before Christmas


It's a month before Christmas and most of us are either preparing to gain those extra pounds over the holiday or slaving over our jobs (or student life) just to earn some extra cash for that Christmas shopping.

With all the vacation time we get over the holidays, it's definitely one of our favorite seasons of the year. And after mulling over what to do with all that time we now suddenly have, we take the time to reminisce: What's our fondest Christmas memory?


Danne | Manila FoodistasDanne
My fondest memory has to be opening gifts, not for the gifts themselves but for the fuzzy feeling of Christmas midnight. The thought that almost everyone are in awake, in their homes, and spending quality time with family is so heartwarming. Also, during Christmas season (especially just before Christmas break), everyone's nice-- nicer than usual.


Nicole
It was definitely the day I understood what Christmas is really all about. It's way beyond all those celebrations, get-together and of course eating! :)) Christmas is not just a one day event that happens once a year but it is that one thing we should be very grateful for every single day. :)


Therese
I didn't want to think very far back so I would have to say that my fondest Christmas memory is that of last year's (2010). For some reason, it was especially cold that Christmas break, and I was able to spend it with family and friends. I even remember going to Tagaytay with my relatives on the 26th of December, having dinner at Alfredo's and having dessert at Bag of Beans. It was simple but for me, it was fun! :)

299549_10150273729740892_596240891_7949538_5628475_n
Tiffy
All I remember of past Christmases are the food. Lots and lots of food. And the guilt right after. Of writing down, "Go on a diet." on New Year's Eve. But oh all those food! It was worth it. The best Christmases are those when I have nothing to do--I just curl up with a book (or probably my laptop) and read to my heart's content.


About those "extra pounds"... What food are you willing to earn those pounds on? Any favorite Christmas treat?


Danne | Manila FoodistasDanne
I'd be willing to gain some pounds for sweets! Leche flan is one of my most favorite Christmas treats. I also love home-baked cookies friends give during the season. Plus cake, pastries, food for the gods, I can go on and on!



Nicole
Christmas dinner or not, hands down to my mother's lasagna! I have not yet eaten the lasagna better than my mom's! My favorite is her vegetable version - with spinach, zucchini, and lots of tomatoes! YUUUM!

And as for my favorite Christmas treat, bibingka is the one! There are so many types of bibingka here in the Philippines and what we have in Antipolo every Christmas season is what I call the "pancake" type. I remember two years ago, I was at our city's town plaza almost every night just to buy this bibingka from my suki! :D

Ingredients: Rice flour, egg, cheese, salted egg, and margarine

Therese
Something I look forward to on Christmas (aside from the usual treats) is Christmas ham! I don't normally eat it but because we always receive some, it has become somewhat of a seasonal food for me. Another thing I only get to eat during Christmastime is puto bumbong - a Filipino sticky rice dish. It's a bit sweet and it's topped with coconut flakes.

Puto bumbong

299549_10150273729740892_596240891_7949538_5628475_n
Tiffy
I remember my first Christmas in Japan, and I had work. My good friend Karen was making eggnog (she usually uses rum) that night and told me that she'd save me some. But she didn't--she drank it all. A few days after, I was hanging out at her dorm room and she made some again (under my close watch this time lest she drinks it off again). I'll get her recipe and tell you about it some time!

Christmas wish lists aren't really about others but taking a peek at wish lists not our own help some of us add some more to our list. So... What's on your wish list?

Danne | Manila FoodistasDanne
Number 1 on my wish list would be to get a chance to travel somewhere interesting. Then, I could take really nice pictures and be part of people's stories. Then again, if I should wish for something tangible, it would be to have a pretty camera strap. It needs some replacing!


Nicole
World peace. . . ha ha ha! Seriously, I'd like to have a replica of the Noli Me Tangere manuscript, Lang Lang's newest CDs, and C.S. Lewis' book collection (excluding the Narnia series) =))




Therese
Since we're talking material here, I would love to have an Apple iPhone4S!






299549_10150273729740892_596240891_7949538_5628475_n
Tiffy
I would love to suddenly have the will to be a vegetarian. Seriously. I've tried (and failed) so many times it's ridiculous! But some stuff off my wishlist would be: a new bicycle, something I can read PDF files with (an iPad or something similar), and nice make-brushes (and maybe some make-up as well)!


What about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...