Nuffnang Ads

02 February 2012

Tiffy Learns How to Cook: Minced meat and Spinach Curry

So as I was saying, my boyfriend's mother taught me how to cook. One of his sisters has actually been working at a pastry shop for years now. From what I hear, she's a great cook. And since she's got married and moved to Tokyo, she left me some of her old cookbooks. One of them's titled 10分でごはん (10-minute meals):


Looking back, either I'm really an inefficient cook or the book was lying when it said 10 minutes.

Note: The steps I write down next are not translations of the instructions above.

You will need (good for 2 people):
salad oil
2/3 bundle of spinach (cut into 1-3 cm)
1/2 onion (diced)
1 large tomato (diced)
150 g minced meat
1 cup water
50 g curry cubes
20 g pizza cheese

I just followed the pictures, really.

1. Cook the spinach in salad oil (you'll know it's cooked when it goes all soft)
2. Take out the spinach
3. Add more oil and cook the onion and meat in medium heat
4. When the meat's done, pour 1 cup of water, and add the tomatoes. Let it cook for 1-2 minutes.
5. Turn off the heat and put in the cubes. Let it melt before turning on the heat again.
6. Once nicely mixed, add the spinach and mix.

Here's how mine turned out.



How to cook the egg:
1. Let the water boil (do not put the egg in yet)
2. Put in the egg and leave it for 5 minutes


My boyfriend has to work until 8 PM so he usually gets home at 8:30. He got home at 9 that day. We didn't add the cheese until we heard his car pull in the driveway.

I just cut generous slices of cheese (definitely didn't follow the recipe there) and put it on top of the curry and let it melt. I didn't mix it or anything. When it melts and when you transfer it to a plate, the lumps of melted cheese make it so much more appetizing.


I could never get the egg to be like in the picture.
(Notice the mats? They're my pasalubong to his family)


Without the cheese and half eaten.
I made this dish twice. I was told that the more times I did it the easier it will be for me.

O, puede na ba ako magasawa?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...